Tuesday, December 2, 2008

What It Feels Like To Be Done And Still Be Sitting For 2 Weeks With Miserable Weather Outside

It feels pretty good, actually. The test yesterday was a final, I guess, but the hardest part about it was walking through the ice to get to the building where it was held. After that, it was pure cake. I'm often forced to confront the fact that I may have learned something during the semester, but I'm not sure that the test brought out that fact as one might think. A couple funny points about the test: the people administering the test either didn't speak English or refused to speak English, which is funny because our class is taught in English and only a few of the people in our class spoke Norwegian. Lucky we had our teacher there to translate, then. I guess I overstated it when I said there were a couple funny points; it was pretty much just the one. And the ice. I almost died in the ice on the way over. That's been the way it's been the last week or so, mostly sitting inside and then embarking on a journey outside that mostly involves slipping on ice and being freezing and then coming back inside a few groceries richer or, in the case of the test, glad to be done with school. There is the formality tomorrow of presenting my case study, but I'm more excited than concerned about that because I'll be able to further explain and understand what I was talking about. After that comes the long haul. 10 days of preparing to return to a place that is probably a good 60 degrees warmer than where I am and 200% lighter. I guess it'll take some time to pack and probably a longer period of time to clean the apartment, but for the most part I'll have even more free time than usual. The only travel that I'll do is to Oslo with the class for the Nobel Peace Prize festivities, which will be my 3rd time in Oslo not counting train connections, and the only outdoor time I'll spend will probably be in 20-30 minute stretches in which I need to get groceries or money or something. All in all, though, the boredom at the end is a fair price to pay for what has been an outstanding experience this semester. I'll try to write everyday in this travelogue as a sort of debriefing, talking about my reflections and stuff like that. For now, it's a wonderful snowy day outside so I'm going to go about making some lunch or something.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a person experienced with Winter Darkness, one of the worst things to do is sit around inside and be bored. But as long as you are ok with it, that's fine. And I know you are talking about Arizona, but Washington isn't much lighter than Norway is, I'm positive.